I asked for help with vegetarian recipes for Lent (we’re not going vegetarian all the way, but I’m trying to learn more meatless recipes that our whole family can enjoy) and got a bunch of great recipes from friends on Facebook. I wanted to share one of our favorite vegetarian recipes, and it seemed easier to type it up here and then post the link than to put the whole recipe in Facebook. The recipe is originally from the Baltimore Sun (and originally called for chicken bouillon cubes and water instead of veggie broth–I’ll use either chicken broth or vegetable broth if I don’t care that the soup is vegetarian). As you’ll see below, you can do a lot of fudging on amounts.
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter (or you could use olive oil)
- ~1 cup chopped onions (Since my kids aren’t big onion fans, I put in just enough for flavor–usually about half of a medium onion.)
- ~2 pounds diced potatoes (I don’t peel them, but you can. You can also adjust the amount of potatoes pretty easily to make a little more soup.)
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth (enough that all the potatoes will be covered easily)
- 12 oz. frozen broccoli or about 2 big heads fresh broccoli (more or less as desired)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste (grocery store broths are usually pretty salty, and there’s the cheese, but the potatoes do suck up a lot of salt, so taste before serving.)
- If the broccoli is not frozen, cut it up and cook it in the microwave or in a steamer until just done. It will get cooked a little more in the soup at the end, but you want it to be not crunchy before you put it in the soup.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot (non-stick is what I prefer, especially with the potatoes and cheese) over medium heat. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are just tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove 1 to 1 1/2 cups potato cubes with a slotted spoon and set aside. Blend the rest of the soup together until smooth with an immersion blender. (You can also transfer to a regular blender or food processor, but this would not be one of my favorite soups if I had to do that regularly.)
- Mix in reserved potatoes and broccoli, reheat over medium-low to medium.
- Add cheese in and stir until cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper.