We are looking at what may be our last year in Durham, and I’ve been wanting to put down in black and white things to do before we move away. I would say I’m 60% sure at this point that next year we’ll be moving back to the Baltimore/Washington area, where we both grew up and where both our immediate families still live. I will be about 80% sure one way or another by October, and I think we’ll know for certain by the end of February 2014. This is what we’ve always planned to do, and there are some aspects that we are definitely looking forward to (grandparents within a couple hours!), but Durham has become home in the 7 years we’ve lived here, and we will miss it a great deal.
Despite having lived here for a decent stretch now, there are many activities in the area that we either haven’t taken advantage of at all, or haven’t done as much as I would like. Here’s my list of things to do before we go, in no particular order:
- Go to Maple View Ice Cream.
- Walk or ride bikes on the American Tobacco Trail.
- Visit at least 2 of these parks: Falls Lake, Umstead, Eno River, West Point on the Eno, Occoneechee Mountain. (I’ve been to the last 2, but not for awhile, and I’ve never visited the other three.)
- Take a walk in Duke Forest.
- Hear Will Willimon preach while he’s at Duke Memorial UMC.
- Go to the State Fair. (We’ve been twice, but I really like it and want to try to go again this year!)
- See an American Dance Festival performance. (I don’t know if this will be possible, since we’d have to move by July 1, but I’d like to try.)
- Go to at least 2 Durham Bulls games. (I’m cheating on this one: we’re going to one tonight!)
- Spend a day in Chapel Hill/Carrboro (reminiscing about my library school days, I guess…).
- Eat at Vin Rouge and try out either Nana’s or one of the other fancy Durham restaurants we haven’t been to (obviously a kid-free selection).
- Go to 2-3 of the choral groups performing via Duke Performances this season. (This is more on my husband’s list than mine, but I like going to hear music with him at least occasionally–and we could combine it with the one above!)
- Take the older two kids to see the Nutcracker when it’s performed at UNC’s Memorial Hall.
- Go to the NC Aquarium once more.
I think that about covers it. I’m sure there are things I’d like to do that I’ve missed, but I can add them later (and I don’t want the list to get too long, if I’m to have any hope of completing it!!). There are a few things I am fairly confident we will do and so didn’t list them: visiting the Life & Science Museum regularly, visiting Duke Gardens, visiting the NC Zoo 1-2 more times. It would also be great to get to either the Outer Banks or Asheville since I’ve never been to the first and only to the second once upon a time in middle school, but those will be more difficult to fit in, especially now that we have someone in school.
Anything I absolutely must add to the list?